Saturday 26 November 2011

Sourdough starter day 2

It's been a long day at work and I arrived home about 2 hours ago having completely forgotten about my sourdough starter. Getting my scales out of the cupboard for something else luckily jolted my memory and the "thing" has been fed. I'm following the recipe from sourdough.com and the instructions for day 2 were pretty damn similar to day 1; to the bowl of mix you already have, add 35g strong white flour, 15g rye flour and 50g water. Stir and put somewhere away from any direct heat sources.


My starter essentially looks the same as it did yesterday. It's got a few bubbles coming to the surface, which could be a sign of life in the mix, but it could also be a sign that I stirred it a little bit vigorously, so I'll reserve judgement. It also doesn't smell of anything at the moment; when the bacteria starts to work, it should give off what I'll refer to as "fermenty" smells. 


But these are early days so I wasn't expecting much to have happened. Still, it's a good job that I remembered to feed the starter... the experiment may have ended almost straight after it began. 

No comments:

Post a Comment