Friday 25 November 2011

Starting a sourdough starter

I've done a few types of bread before, but they've mostly been basic and made use of yeast. But there's a type of bread that doesn't use yeast and that's being talked about in many bakery circles. That's sourdough bread. Instead of using yeast, you make something known as a "starter" using flour and water. You "feed" this starter with more flour and water over the course of several days and, eventually, life will come to your starter in the form of bacteria. This bacteria is what was originally used by our ancestors to create leavened breads. The method became less popular when yeast started to be produced through industrial methods but is experiencing a bit of a renaissance. 


So, what with all the bakery buzz about this method of bread production, I thought I'd give it a go. I've found a step-by-step guide to making a starter at sourdough.com and today is day one. 


I started with a clear bowl (so I can see what's going on) and a spoon, both of which I'd sterilised in hot water (to kill any of the nasty bacteria that I don't want getting into my starter). To this I added 15g rye flour (took a bit of finding but eventually got some in trusty Waitrose), 35g strong white bread flour and 50g water. I stirred, covered it loosely with cling and left it on a shelf, away from sources of heat. And that's it for the moment. It's tempting to lean in and look at it every now and again but there's no point as it's mostly just a substance a little like glue. But give it a few days and a bit of feeding and we might see some signs of life. 


I'll keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment